21 Jan 2007

Flower Power! (Skypecast #21)

The topic for yesterday's Skypecast was flowers. Not an easy one —unless you work at a flower shop— but I got the idea from Jola in the last Skypecast and thought it'd be cool to do it, so I didn't hesitate to prepare something accordingly.

Paulino did an excellent job hosting the Skypecast. To cut a long story short, I had problems with my computer, so he and Jola took turns to host.

These are the flowers I "picked" for the slides (yes, that was a pun):

Bell flower

Carnation

Chrysanthemums

Coneflower

Daffodil

Daisy

Dandelion (the one that becomes a ball of seeds that children blow)

Forget-me-not

Freesia

Lavender

Lilac

Lily

Orchid

Rose

Sunflower

Thistle



If you missed the Skypecast or want to review this topic, log into our Let's learn English! Moodle site and enroll in the course Word Center. A new lesson with a comprehensive list with pictures, pronunciation, exercises and of course, more flowers is coming soon! Remember that it's a free service. ;-)

Participants recognized all the flowers yesterday —well, almost, and in some cases with a little help; but even so, I was quite amazed.

We also mentioned a few terms related to flowers and discussed flowers in culture, giving flowers as a present and more. The cast turned out to be much better than I expected. Download the presentation in MS Powerpoint format here.

So go ahead now and leave us your comment! For instance, what's your favorite flower and why? Or simply, cast your vote:


The china asters in my backyard are in full bloom now. I can see them from here. Little miss S. is all smiles in daffodils and The Lonely Boys are playing one of my all-time faves, "Flowers on the moon." I'm gonna enjoy the sun. Have a great Sunday.

4 comments:

Jola said...

Ignacio it was a great skypecast and we spent two hours trying to talk about flowers. It was not so easy due to lack of vocabulary and some technical problems. I'd like to say thank you -to Danling for her help, and I hope that we will meet in the future.

In Poland there is a custom to look for a Four-Leaf Clover when you are in parks, forests and in the countryside.

According to legend, each leaf of the clover represents something. The first leaf is for hope, the second leaf is for faith, the third leaf is for love, and the fourth leaf, naturally, is for luck.

In Irish tradition the Shamrock or Three-leaf Clover represents the Holy Trinity: one leaf for the Father, one for the Son and one for the Holy Spirit. When a Shamrock is found with the fourth leaf, it represents God's Grace.

Greetings from Poland to everyone, especially to Danling, Magda and Konrad.

Ignacio said...

Thank you, Jola! Nice you liked the Skypecast :-)

I thought about including the clover in the slides, but I forgot about it completely in the end. *blushed*

The information you just submitted is excellent. Thank you! :-)

Four-leaf clovers are thought to bring good luck here in Argentina as well. I haven't seen one for a very long time. And I certainly didn't know the meaning of the leaves!

Regards,
Ignacio

Spread Your Wings said...

Ignacio, thank you for the well prepared slides. The flowers are beautiful. I hope I know more about them, but I have a brown thumb. Anything I grow either dies prematurely or struggles to live but shows all signs of malnutrition. So I gave up.

Jola, thanks for sharing the meaning of 4 leaf clover with us. It is heartwarming. I wish I can see one soon. All I can see now is white, white and white snow.

Danling

paulino brener said...

hey! i am an adult and i still blow dandelions :-)