24 Mar 2007

Mister, do you know the way? (Saturday Skypecast #29)

Saturday Skypecast for March 24 was about asking for and giving directions. By means of the Online map editor developed by Igor Zhukovsky, I sketched out the following map (which I called epotiville):


We used this map in the Skypecast to ask for and give directions.

Asking for directions

Excuse me,
  • where can I find a pharmacy please?
  • can you tell me how to get to the post office?
  • do you know where the EPOTI museum is?
  • what' the best way to go to the airport?
Giving directions

  • Go straight on until you come to the first traffic light
  • Walk down one/two/etc. block(s)
  • Cross the bridge
  • Turn left/right
  • Make a left/right
  • Walk next to the river until you find the EPOTI hostel on the corner
  • Follow the river
  • The museum is just around the corner, to your right
  • That's just next to the gas station
  • That's between the post office and the museum
  • That's opposite the bank

Please leave us a comment with other alternatives :-)

Paulino also brought up the subject of question tags. Instead of saying something like:

"You want to go to the hostel, no?"

You should say:

"You want to go to the hostel, don't you?"

which sounds much better. A few other examples we mentioned:

  • You like apples, don't you?
  • You bought a boat, didn't you?
  • Susan is tired, isn't she?
  • Such a beautiful day, isn't it? (note that the verb is implicit in this case)

A very good question by (if I remember correctly) drsnik was "what happens in the first person case?". In this case, you use "aren't."

I'm so smart,
  • ain't I? (very informal)
  • aren't I? (this is probably the most common)
  • am I not? (formal)
Great Skypecast, wasn't it?

1 comments:

paulino brener said...

I wonder what's on display at the EPOTI Museum these days.... hmmmm