6 Jul 2008

Structural conversion 2 (tenses)

11. I don't believe that he'll agree.
It's my belief that he won't agree.
I have a feeling that he won't agree.
There's no reason to believe that he'll agree.

12. While I was walking down the street, I saw Mary.
While walking down the street, I saw Mary.
When I was walking down the street, I saw Mary.
It was while I was walking down the street that I saw Mary.

13. Was there any response to his appeal?
Did anyone respond to his appeal?

14. The race takes place tomorrow.
The race will/is going to be held/take place tomorrow.
The race is scheduled to take place / for tomorrow.

15. She started doing her homework as soon as her brother had left for school.
She started doing her homework when her brother had left for school.
She didn't start (doing) her homework until her brother had left for school.
She waited until her brother had left for school before she started (doing) homework/ or before starting to do homework.
Not until her brother had left for school did she start (doing) her homework.

16. When did you last have a haircut?
When was the last time you had a haircut?

17. She wrote the book while she was on holiday.
She wrote the book during her holiday.

18. I only slept for an hour last night.
I only had an hour's sleep last night.

19. It is certain that he'll pass his exams.
There is no doubt that he'll pass his exams.
He is bound to pass his exams.

0 comments: