An instructive text is written to tell you how to do something.
Key features of this type of texts:
- It is ordered with a kind of list, telling step by step what to do.
- It addresses the reader directly, though a word ‘you’ is not normally used.
- It contains diagrams and pictures to help understanding.
The style of the instructive texts:
- It uses imperative words.
- It uses the simple language and unnecessary words are taken out.
- It uses the present tense.
- It is impersonal.
- It contains words like must and must not.