A persuasive text is written to persuade you to do something like to buy a car or give money to charity; or to agree with the author’s point of view on the subject.
Key features of this type of texts:
- It appeals to the reader’s feelings.
- It contains a mix of facts and opinions.
- It influences the reader with an emotionally one sided argument.
- It gives reasons to make the reader want to do something.
The style of the persuasive texts:
- It uses different type of print to make ideas stand out, like: bold, colours, capitals or italics.
- It uses lots of persuasive words, like adjectives and adverbs.
- it seems to speak directly to the reader by using imperative words.
- It uses many repeated words.
- It uses rhetorical questions.
- It contains exclamation marks.
- It contains humour.