New year, new aims

It is almost a year since I wrote the last post here.
Next year I will be sitting the next English exam; this time GCSE in English. And soon I will be writing assessments in creative, persuasive English. Albeit, as I think, I can write in decent English, this year's goal is to sound like an English writer and I do not find it easy.

First of all I need to master my grammar, especially sentence structures. I must recognise and fully understand how to build a sentence using phrases, clauses and language devices to address my reader in clear, yet very engaging way. The variety of language techniques, usage of adjectives, adverbs and strong, emotive words are the clue of the successful writer.

Therefore, I am going to share on this blog with what I have learnt, as well with some sentences I am going to write and rewrite to master my style. My strong resolution is to write here every day, picking up a subject, trying new words or new techniques.

For today, two sentences, the first is an example of a simple sentence (according to this website), the second - a try in descriptive language. This kind of a sentence has its name in English, but for now I cannot find it in my head.

Being an avid reader with a penchant for a plot's complexity, I love mystery books full of tension of the 19th century.

Hair tousled, she silently marched out of the cramped room where her family made an awful, suffocated and discordant din. (Rule of three - awful, suffocated and discordant; oxymoron: silently marched.)

The advice I was given which I am impairing to others: read a lot, mostly aloud, write down new words and exemplary sentences. Read a few or even many books at the time, not bother with ending them, read for the language, to taste it.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A gerund phrase

PEED (Point, Example, Explan and Develop) in English essays

See a film? watch a movie?